We’re very proud of our team here at Blackhorse Lane Ateliers and we wouldn’t be what we are, without our skills factory workers. They are the beating heart of what makes us, and makes the garments you wear. Amassing years of tailoring and manufacturing experience, our skilled makers bring their craft and knowledge together creating an intimacy into producing the best made jeans in the world.
Due to the affect of the Covid-19 pandemic we felt it right to close the factory and have placed the factory workers on furlough. Everyone is safe and well. We thought it might be nice to showcase them as they are hidden behind the scenes, but we’d like to champion them and give you a little more insight in to each of them. Some of you may be familiar with the faces if you visited us at the factory in the past few years.
A few months ago we had a visit from talented photographer Alexander Beer who took some lovely photos on film, capturing everyone at work.
PLEASE VISIT US AT OUR ATELIERS IN WALTHAMSTOW OR STORE IN COAL DROPS YARD.
Please note:our factory no longer has any stock. We still want to retain our open-door policy, so please do stop by to look at jeans being made or to collect bread (Thursday to Sunday). However, we will not be able to help you fit jeans so please come to our permanent Coal Drops Yard store for this. As we are a working factory, and without a shop present at the ateliers any longer, our opening hours are reduced to 10am to 2pm Monday to Friday only.
Our ateliers has an open door policy. We use the plural as we have a community of makers within our factory building. Come by to see how we’re building a #CraftJeanRevolution.
The ateliers and Coal Drop’s Yard store offers the following services:
– Ready-to-wear collection: jeans, jackets and accessories available to purchase, and we’ll advise on fit and style.
– Denim haberdashery: we have everything you need to make your own jeans at home, or to repair your favourite pair.
– Made to Measure: appointments are available on Fridays from August 9th. Please use the contact form to let us know your requirements and book in.
– Made-to-order: speak to us about getting your favourite model made in a stock denim of your choice. Please use the contact form to let us know your requirements.
– Alterations and repairs: Have your BLA jeans hemmed on our vintage Union Special or repaired on our vintage Singer*. Pop in to enquire about pricing for other branded denim. *Drop off service, not necessarily done on the spot. Please send enquiries before your visit if unsure.
Blackhorse Lane Ateliers
Unit 32, Lower Stable Street,
Coal Drops Yard
+44 (0)20 3746 8303
Coal Drops Yard is just a few minutes’ walk from King’s Cross and St Pancras rail and tube stations. As you exit the stations, follow signs for Regent’s Canal. Cross the canal and Coal Drops Yard is to your left, just off Granary Square. Follow the yard around and we’re at the base of two sets of stairs. Google Maps Directions CityMapper Directions
Martin and Charlotte run the fine dining concept Gather E17 within the ateliers, with dinner on Friday and some Saturdays, plus Sunday Brunch. They’re also open for some special events, and you can pop in Thursday through Sunday for fresh sourdough bread.
We are not currently undertaking any bespoke services, but will launch this service in March 2020. It costs £450. We can offer some Made To Order, for example if a style isn’t produced in a particular denim, with a 20% surcharge on the retail cost. Please enquire via the contact form. https://blackhorselane.com/contact/
We use larger offcuts to make our Soho selvedge aprons, but we’re always looking for homes for the remaining ‘wasted’ denim fabric. Get in touch with your project, and we’ll see what offcuts we have available for you. Collection only. https://blackhorselane.com/contact/