Brown BLA x Hadston Leather BeltRegular price €160,95
Sharing the same passion for craftsmanship and the values this holds, Blackhorse Lane Ateliers and Hadston Leather have come together to create a range of beautiful leather accessories that last a lifetime.
This brown belt is made from 4mm thick English Bridle Leather paired with a nickel-free stainless steel buckle. It is available in widths of 1 ¼ inch wide, and 1 ½ inch wide. 1 1/4 widths will not be restocked when sold out.
Alison, founder of Hadston Leather, bevels and burnishes the edges of each belt with an edge dye and wax to create a smooth feel. She fixes the buckle and belt loop in place using the saddle stitch method. All belts are made locally in East London.
- Vegetable tanned English bridle leather
- Stainless Steel buckle (nickel free)
- Made by Alison in London, UK
- Leather – sourced from Abbey England, Cheshire UK; tanned in Germany; curried at J E Sedgwick, Walsall UK.
- Buckle – sourced from Abbey England, Cheshire UK; manufactured in China.
- Belt – Finished and made in London UK.
- S - 30"/76cm
- M - 33"/83cm
- L - 36"/91.4cm
- XL - 40"/101.6
**Belts are measured from Buckle Heel to middle hole.**
English Bridle Leather is a high quality leather that lasts a long time. The leather starts out firm but it will soften as you use it. It changes in appearance as it reacts to your touch, how you use it and how you handle it, though it only gets better with age. It will take on any scratches it comes up against.
The leather is initially vegetable tanned in Germany, where the raw animal hide is put through a liming process to remove the hair. The hide then goes into tanning drums with vegetable extracts and oils that turn the animal hides into what we know as leather. The undyed leather hides are then sent to J E Sedgwick’s curriers in Walsall, UK. Using a variety of hand techniques, the undyed leather is processed into English Bridle Leather with its distinctive characteristics. This includes removing growth marks, applying colour and also the grease/wax dressing.
The grease which is applied to each side is called dubbin, a mix of animal fats and fish oils. This penetrates into the grain to help the fibres move, and makes the leather water resistant. Every so often the white wax rises to the surface. If this happens, rub the leather with a soft cloth as this will feed the leather and polish the surface.
- Natural wax and oils are applied to the leather when it is produced. The wax or oil will rise to the surface occasionally appearing as a white bloom. When this happens rub the leather with a soft cloth to feed the wax back into the leather and therefore nourishing it.
- Ideally, English Bridle leather needs to be kept hydrated. This can be done by applying a small amount of Sedgwick Leather Care Balm, which is readily available to buy online. This only needs to be done occasionally.
- If any liquids or dirt spills onto the surface, wipe the leather straight away with a clean soft cloth. Avoid, however, using anything too harsh as it will mark the surface.
- Direct sunlight for prolonged periods of time will bleach the surface. It will darken again over time but to avoid the harsh stripping of colour, it is advisable not to leave your English Bridle leather product in direct sunlight.
- Avoid bringing the belt (or other product) into contact with sharp edges, as the surface will scratch. However, part of the beauty of English Bridle leather is that it will take on the characteristics of your daily wear, showcasing the item’s story.
- The vegetable tanned leather will naturally change in appearance over time and will develop a patina unique to you. Like with the scratching, this is one of the beauties of this natural product.
We offer FREE shipping within the UK only on all orders over £50.
We ship all orders to the EU that are paid in Euros through our DHL shipping agent ‘taxes and duties paid’. This means that the price you see at checkout will be the total price you pay. Simple as that. All goods shipped to the EU will also be sent via DHL.
We offer a 30-day returns or exchange policy from the date you receive the goods*. Terms and conditions apply.
For more information please see our Terms & Policies page.